Explore China – The North East & North Korea
A Unesco volcanic geopark, wetlands bird sanctuary, Siberian Tigers. International influences – Russian, the Qing dynasty Manchu origins, the Pu Yi puppet Manchuguo headquarters, Japanese conquest, and a four day excursion into North Korea right down to the demilitarised zone separating North from South Korea.
This tour takes us to the farthest north NZCFS has ever delivered a tour in China, to 49 degrees north in Heilongjiang. But do not worry, we will start there in early September to dodge the onset of the extreme winter! Here, the Unesco Global Geopark of Wudalianchi is a volcanic wonderland, with five lakes formed in the lava rock, set in an area of very northern forest and Russian influences.
Travel through Qiqihar, near the north-east border with Inner Mongolia, where we will visit a wetlands area and the red-neck stork habitat, then stop in Harbin for the beautiful capital sites. Explore the Russian architecture in Central Street and St Sofia Church, that brings the Russian history to life, visit Stalin Park, and the extensive Siberian Tiger Park. Lament that we did not come in winter for the Ice Festival!
Moving South, Jilin Province we will go to the capital Changchun, where we will visit the Manchu State puppet headquarters created briefly by the exiled Last Emperor Pu Yi and the Japanese invaders.
South to Liaoning, the capital city of Shenyang, and to Dandong. This is on the border of North Korea.
HERE WE WILL CROSS THE YALU RIVER, AND TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A FOUR DAY EXCURSION INTO NORTH KOREA, INCLUDING A VISIT TO THE LINE THAT DIVIDES NORTH KOREA FROM SOUTH KOREA
In Dandong, the long connection for New Zealanders is that it is here that our godwits fly every southern winter on their way to the Arctic. Travel to the southernmost city of Liaoning of Dalian
Take the train to Tianjin, eat the famous Goubuli steamed buns of Tianjin in Guwenhua ancient culture street. Other sites unique to Tianjin, then to Beijing to round off the trip.
- Heilongjiang Province – Harbin, Qiqihar, Wudalianchi Volcanic Geopark
- Jilin Province – Changchun Manchuguo puppet state, Changbai Mountain
- Liaoning Province – Shenyang, Dandong, Dalian
- North Korea – 4-day Excursion
- Tianjin, Beijing
All Dates To Be Confirmed
Arriving in Harbin, capital city of Heilongjiang province
• City sites to be arranged depending on arrival time, may visit city sites like St.Sofia Church, Central Street and Stalin Park
Further city sites in Harbin
• Siberian Tigers Park
Bus to Wudalianchi(3hrs)
• Heihe Huoshao Mountain & Lava Ice Cave
• Wudalianchi Global Geopark: a large scenic area that is composed of five big linked lakes, extraordinary volcanic landforms and some other natural and cultural landscapes.
More visit in Wudalianchi Global Geopark
• Longmen Stone Village: Blocky Lava Flow
• the Northern and Southern Cold Mineral Springs Sight-seeing Area
Bus to Qiqihar (3.5hrs)
• Zhalong National Nature Reserve, a major habitat for red-crowned cranes and other wildlife.
Bullet Train to Changchun(10:02-12:45), Jilin province
• Manchu Imperial Palace where the last emperor of China Puyi lived for 13 years
• Badabu: 8 department offices of Manchu puppet state
• Cultural Square
Bullet train to Shenyang(09:53-11:16)
• Former Palace before Qing government settled the capital in Beijing
• Marshal Office of Zhang family: the warlord leaders in NE China in 1920s
City sites in Shenyang
• World Horticultural Exposition, once the site of Shenyang botanical garden
• “9.18”Historical Museum
• Zhongjie pedestrian street
Bus to Dandong(3.5hrs)
• Broken bridge on Yalv River, a witness of the war to resist U.S. and aid Korea
• Hushan Great Wall, the east end of the Great Wall of Ming dynasty, can see North Korean villages and people’s life on the other side of the river.
Train to Pyongyang via Sinuiju, North
Korea(DPRK) 8:30-17:30, check in the hotel
Pyongyang-Kaesong-Pyongyang(bus: single way
• After breakfast, bus to Kaesong, the capital of Koryo, visited Panmunjom, where the Korean War Armistice Negotiation Conference was held, and the Korean War Armistice
Agreement was signed. Visit the historical military dividing line between North and South.
• Koryo Museum and visit Kaesong Koryo Ginseng Store
• Visit the world’s deepest subway underground palace in Pyongyang, take the subway to feel the Korean people’s life, visit the Arc de Triomphe
• Sino-Korean Friendship Tower
City sites in Pyongyang
• Grand People’s Study House(national library ) & fountains park
• President Kim Il Sung’s birthplace, Wanjingtai Former Residence
• Pyongyang Student Children’s Palace or Pyongyang Middle School, watch wonderful student performances
• Walk along Dawn Street after dinner
• If available, enjoy the Arirang Mass Games performance by NK army officers(optional)
Train back to China (so you need a double or multi-entry Chinese visa), Pyongyang-SinuijuDandong( 9：40-16：35）,
• Strolling in Kim Il Sung Square before go to the railway station
• Check in the hotel or light activity in Dandong
Bus to Dalian (4hrs)
• On the way visiting Yalujiang Nature Reserve where the godwits fly to and from NZ
• Bangchui Island, depending on the arrival time in Dalian
City sites in Dalian
• Baiyu hill to have a panoramic view of the city and visit the naval armory
• Naval port park
• Xinghai Square, Binhai Road, Beida qiao:also called long-lasting love bridge, etc.
Train to Tianjin:10:06-14:18, one of the 4 municipalities of China
• Check in the hotel
• Ancient cultural street and dinner there, eat famous Tianjin originated Goubuli steamed buns.
• Cruise for night views(50min)
City sites in Tianjin
• Morning exercise: strolling in Wudadao: thousands of European-style buildings, mainly as the former residences of celebrities in 1920s.
• Cifangzi: a French-style house decorated by porcelain
• Shijizhong Square
• Dagukou Fort Ruins Museum
Bus to Beijing(2.5hrs), one of the 4 municipalities
• Shi’s Grand Mansion: one of the best preserved large-scale civil building complexes in North China
• Bus to Beijing (2.5hrs)
• Check in the hotel in downtown
City sites to be arranged :Tian’anmen Square, Forbidden city, Song Qingling Former residence, hutongs
City sites to be arranged: Great Wall, Summer Palace
Departure: return to New Zealand
Experience the real China with Dave Bromwich.
Dave Bromwich has been designing and taking tours to China for more than a decade. His over 50 visits have taken him to every province and his knowledge of the country are clear in these specialty tours. Unlike many commercial tours currently available, Dave’s NZCFS quality tours provide depth, engagement, culture, scenic wonders, history and unforgettable experiences.