NZCFS NZ Heroes in China Tour
2021 is the 125th anniversary of Kathleen Hall’s birth. 2022 is Rewi Alley’s 125th. An overview of the itinerary is to travel from Beijing to Shandan, ending in Shanghai. The focus is to visit heritage sites of both Kathleen Hall and Rewi Alley and organise some official/semi-official meetings with partners of their heritage in China. The plan includes activity like English corner with students in Gansu, Youxie support for forums on RA and KH, meet Kathleen Hall scholars, all to be confirmed. Along the way there will be a number of historical, cultural and scenic sites of interest. Underlying all, of course, will be a diverse and authentic food experience of the regions!
NZCFS is confident that we are able to deliver this tour free of restrictions on both international travel and in-China travel, free of constraints from Covid other than testing requirements. Expressions of interest are free from commitment at this stage.
THIS IS A UNIQUE TOUR THAT ONLY NZCFS CAN DELIVER. THROUGH THE FOCUS ON REWI ALLEY AND KATHLEEN HALL, IT PROVIDES A PLATFORM FOR A BROAD APPRECIATION OF WHERE CHINA CAME FROM, AND HOW IT GOT TO WHERE IT IS TODAY, WITH CONTACT WITH REAL PEOPLE! A DRAFT ITINERARY WILL BE PROVIDED ASAP.
A draft outline of the itinerary and an indication of the activity is as follows:-
- Highlights of Beijing, may include Great Wall, Tiananmen/Forbidden City, to be arranged
- Sites less visited – Zhoukoudian (Peking Man Site); Luguo qiao (Marco Polo Bridge)
- Rewi Alley heritage – formal meetings/ informal workshops; Song Qingling former residence
- Kathleen Hall heritage – Songjiazhuang village; KH Memorial room, Baoding; Anguo
- Langya Shan (wolf tooth mountain)
- Datong – Kathleen Hall heritage; meet NZCFS’ KH scholar; Yungang grottoes; Hengshan Hanging temple
- Pingyao Ancient Town / Zhang Yimou performance
- Xi’an – Terracotta soldiers; Eighth Route Army Museum; City Wall; Moslem Bazaar; meet Kathleen Hall Scholars, Women’s Federation
- Fengxian – cross the Qingling mountain range that separates north and south of China; Rewi Alley cave house and heritage – Xi Zhongxun memorial museum
- Baoji – Restored Cave Factory Museum Complex; Baoji Museum (featuring Bronze Age)
- Zhangye – Zhangye Danxia Geological Park; Wetlands Nature Park
- Shandan – Rewi Alley heritage activities; Shandan Vocational College (previously SBS); RA museum, RA grave; Commemoration activities- seminar, meet the students and teachers
- Big Buddha
- Lanzhou – Lanzhou City University: Rewi Alley commemoration activities, forum with students and teachers; Bailie Square; Yellow River waterwheel park
- Rewi Alley historic residence 1315 Yu Yuan Ave; meet partners (possible meet NZCFS sponsored Michael King NZ writer in residence?); free time, to be arranged
- Hebei Province
- Shanxi Province
- Shaanxi Province
- Gansu Province
All Dates To Be Confirmed
Download full itinerary (PDF)
Depart NZ (dates to be confirmed)
Arrive Shanghai, connect to flight to Beijing, light activities, rest. Stay in Beijing
Highlights of Beijing tour : Great Wall, Palace Museum, (Forbidden City) Tian’anmen Square. Stay in Beijing
Flexible day in city area; Song Qingling former residence, Hutongs, Drum Tower; meeting and discussions with old friends and officials. Stay in Beijing
Marco Polo Bridge (Luguo Qiao). Bus to Baoding, on the way go to Zhoukoudian, the archeological site of Peking Man. Travel and stay near to Langya Shan
In the morning take the cable car up Langya Shan, then continue travel to Baoding for lunch (1.5 hours) for some local specialities. In the afternoon visit Kathleen Hall Memorial Hall, the former office of the Qing Dynasty government, and West Avenue pedestrian Street. Stay in Baoding
Coach to Tang County– visit the Norman Bethune Memorial Hall, then to nearby Quyang county Songjiazhuang village where Kathleen Hall established her rural base, visit the primary school, meet teachers and students, and Lotus Hill where Kathleen Hall’s ashes are scattered. Carry on to enjoy the night lights and stay in Dingzhou.
Morning activities in Dingzhou: visit the city wall gate where Kathleen was inspected by Japanese soldiers when transporting medical supplies; Dingzhou Cathedral, Confucius temple. Travel to Shanxi Province, Datong . On the way go to Xuankong Hanging Temple in Heng Shan. Stay in Datong
Day in Datong: activities relating to Kathleen Hall; visit Yungang Grottoes, Nine Dragon Wall. Meet Kathleen Hall Scholar. Stay in Datong
Bullet train to Pingyao Ancient City, (3 hours). Evening Show in the Zhang Yimou ‘ímpressions’ series: “Encore Pingyao” depicting the role this town played in Qing dynasty history. Stay inside the city walls of Pingyao.
Morning, time to wander the traffic-free streets inside the city walls of this fascinating preserved Qing dynasty ancient town, before taking afternoon bullet train to Xi’an. Music fountain show, wander the Grand Tang Market. Stay in Xi’an
Cycle on the city walls, visit Eighth Route Army Museum for some 20th Century History, Terracotta soldiers, meet Women’s Federation and Kathleen Hall scholars, wander in the Moslem Bazaar. Stay in Xi’an
Coach to Feng Xian, Shuangshipu. Visit the cave house where Rewi and George Hogg lived with adopted sons before they trekked to Shandan, Gansu,; visit the memorial Hall of Xi Zhongxun, father of Xi Jinping.
Stay in Shuangshipu.
By coach over the Qingling mountain range that separate the Yellow river catchment from the Yangtse river, to Baoji (2 hours). Visit the extensive restored cave factory network that Rewi helped to construct in 1940-1, visit the Baoji Bronze Ware Museum with an extensive collection of Zhou dynasty (11th C to 226 BC) bronze artefacts. Stay in Baoji.
Bullet train from Baoji to Zhangye (about 7 hours). This passes through Xining, Qinghai province, and tunnels under the Qilian mountains. Expect to see yaks! Stay in Zhangye.
Sites in Zhangye: Zhangye Danxia geological park, wetlands park, housed sleeping Buddha. Then carry on to Shandan (90 minutes). Stay in Shandan
Activities in Shandan: visit Rewi Alley’s grave; hold commemoration event with teachers, students, government officials. English Corner with an English class. Visit the Big Buddha. Stay in Shandan.
Train to Lanzhou (5 hours). Light activities in Lanzhou: Water wheel park, walk across the Yellow River Bridge. Stay in Lanzhou
Visit Lanzhou City University and Bailie Square. Meet with friends of Rewi Alleys legacy, visit Rewi Alley Commemoration Hall. Stay in Lanzhou
Fly to Shanghai, check into hotel then some free time. Stay in Shanghai
Visit Rewi’s residence (1932-37), now preserved as a commemoration room; meet colleagues and friends – Gung Ho, Shanghai Youxie, perhaps an NZCFS associated NZ writer in residence. End of trip banquet. Stay in Shanghai
Late morning depart for airport for return to New Zealand
Depart for New Zealand, travel itinerary to be confirmed.
- All travel (including international)
- All meals typical of the region
- Accommodation (4 star or best available, twin share — single supplement available on request)
- Site entry and performance entry fees
- Entry Tickets
* Visa and travel insurance costs not included
|From:||10 October 2023|
|To:||31 October 2023|
Experience the real China with Dave Bromwich.
Dave Bromwich has been designing and taking tours to China for more than a decade. His over 50 visits have taken him to every province and his knowledge of the country are clear in these specialty tours. Unlike many commercial tours currently available, Dave’s NZCFS quality tours provide depth, engagement, culture, scenic wonders, history and unforgettable experiences.